Signing up for your first credit card is an exciting moment in one’s life. You get to buy things you want without having to pay for them right away. But, problems can arise when it comes to credit cards; you spend more money than you can pay back.
Here are a few tips when it comes to opening up your first credit card:
- Always keep track of how much money you spend, and how much money you make. Make sure you aren’t cutting yourself short.
- Find out how high your spending limit is, you don’t want to go over it.
- Don’t go crazy. A few impulse buys are okay, but there is no need for the 50” television for your dorm room.
- Make sure you pay your bills on time; you don’t want late fees that will affect your credit score down the line.
- If you choose to pay the minimum payment each month, watch out for the interest you will rack up.
- Talk to your parents about opening a credit card; make sure it’s the best choice for you.
- Be smart with your card, you don’t want it to prevent you from getting a car or apartment in the future because you made mistakes in college.
There are also various websites you can go to if you have any more questions about opening up a credit card!